Why Bakuchiol is One of the Most Exciting Things to Happen to Skincare in 2019
Retinol has been on the top of our beauty favourites list for years (hello improved texture and tightened fine lines), but we also know that it can cause irritation, redness and increased photosensitivity (if used during the day) for those with sensitive skin. The question on our minds this year was: how can we get all the benefits of a retinol treatment without risking irritation?
Well, we’re happy to say we’ve found the solution and we know it’s not going to disappoint. What’s the ingredient you ask? If you’re not already familiar with bakuchiol (pronounced baa-ku-chee-all), we suggest you continue reading, since according to beauty experts (and us of course) it may just be one of the most exciting things to happen to skincare in 2019! Consider bakuchiol retinol’s gentler, yet just as capable, younger cousin. Bakuchiol is the very first natural alternative to retinol that is proven to have the same tightening, repairing, anti-acne and anti-aging benefits.
Bakuchiol is a naturally occurring antioxidant derived from the seeds of the babchi plant, also known as Psoralea corylifolia. Native to India, this plant produces bright purple flowers and is traditionally used in Chinese medicine. Although bakuchiol doesn’t fully function the same way that retinol does, bakuchiol does not disappoint when it comes to results. Bakuchiol is safe for all skin types, ranging anywhere from oily and dry skin to those with more sensitive skin. In fact, bakuchiol is often recommended to those with oily or acne-prone skin due to its anti-inflammatory, antibacterial and clinically proven anti-acne properties.
Just to refresh your memory, the benefits of retinol (and bakuchiol!) include:
- Minimizes the appearance of wrinkles and fine lines
- Accelerates cell turnover, resulting in faster healing of scars
- Combats rough, dry skin by increasing collagen production
- Shrinks pores
- Reduces the appearance of dark spots
- Proven anti-acne properties
Bakuchiol Reface™ Pads
When we learned about bakuchiol, we knew we wanted to develop a product that makes your skincare routine easier, not more complicated. We wanted to deliver all the benefits you’ve come to love from our cult-favourite Retinol Reface™. Now we can confidently say, we did. Introducing NEW Bakuchiol Reface™ Pads; a natural, gentle and plant-based alternative to retinol with a soft-textured delivery system that can be used day and night, on-the-go and without increasing photosensitivity!
Say goodbye to fine lines, wrinkles, uneven skin tone, surface texture and acne with the power of bakuchiol and niacinamide. Bakuchiol works to increase cell turnover, restore skin’s elasticity and has been clinically proven to be effective in reducing acne; while niacinamide regulates skin’s sebum and provides additional anti-acne care. Working gently to promote clear and even skin, these pads meet all your major skin goals – to firm, smooth, renew, soothe and soften skin. What else could you ask for?
Here’s a look inside the unique formula of our Bakuchiol Reface™ Pads.
- Bakuchiol: This natural alternative to retinol is derived from babchi seeds and is the first of its kind that is clinically proven to reduce wrinkles and hyperpigmentation – without side effects. Clinical trials using bakuchiol showed significant improvement in signs of aging, dryness, roughness and fine lines with daily use. Other benefits include improved skin tone, elasticity, firmness, radiance and brightness.
- Symsave H: Derived from cloudberries, this compound provides antioxidant benefits and soothing properties.
- Niacinamide: Also known as vitamin B3, this compound is known to help brighten the complexion, reduce water loss and wrinkle formation, fight inflammation and prevent barrier function defects. Niacinamide also helps regulate both sebum production and anti-inflammatory activity, both of which are essential for anti-acne effects.
- Allantoin: This compound encourages continued hydration of the skin, helps prevent itching and flaking and providing anti-irritant benefits that help calm the skin.
If you’ve been wondering how to turn back the clock while still being gentle on your skin, then bakuchiol is the ingredient for you!